I just looked at my blog from yesterday and I have to add to it... there is a not so glamorous side to this "job" that I love. Yes, I truly love mommyhood, but there are so moments that are just not really fun.
One example happened yesterday afternoon. I knew it was coming. James had been eating really well and had not pooped upon waking, which is usually the first thing he does every morning. He finished nursing, then pooped and it was so massive that the diaper just couldn't contain it... up the back and all over everything! I took off his clothes, changed his diaper and cleaned him with wipes but he smelled like poop, so I had to give him a bath. Luckily Jemma was eager to take a bath too, so she bathed after James which made bedtime easy!
The second example from yesterday... James was awake at 9 pm... little man should have been sleeping, but he was cranky. I had him in the kitchen and he spitup/choked himself/vomited all over me, himself and the kitchen floor. What an absolute mess... and since he is eating rice cereal, it was quite gross. I had to change me, change him, clean the floor, and give him another bath. The positive thing was that he just loves the bath. He was spashing and happy and not cranky at all in the sink for his second bath of the day.
And Miss Jemma certainly did and does things that are not so glamorous as well. Last night Andy and Suzanne were reminiscing about her projectile vomiting... Jemma could get distance. It started when she was just 2 months old. I took her to the pediatrician several times because it was quite worrisome for a new mom. As time passed, we just learned how to clean up really well and to be prepared (several outfits in the car for me and her, paper towels, etc.). It was not that long ago when Jemma would puke when she was overly happy OR upset. It was so hard to keep her from getting overly happy because we all love her laughter and giggles. And she would often get upset and cry in the car. The car seat has been washed many, many times... thank goodness she has outgrown that stage!
She has also gone through a stage of fascination with poop. Fortunately, she has only had 3 major crib "decorating" experiences. The first time I was shocked and horrified and thought of throwing out the sheets, but I washed and cleaned it all. The second time I was just unhappy... I cleaned Jemma, but saved the crib cleanup for my wonderful husband... I was pregnant and just couldn't make myself do it. I try to listen to her on the monitor when she goes down for her nap... and we have caught her taking her diaper off and managed to avoid several mishaps. The third time, James was just 6 weeks old. Jemma was being so quiet that I thought she had finally gone to sleep. However, as I started upstairs I caught a whiff of what smelled like poop... I had James in my arms and he was begining to cry. The closer I got to Jemma's room the more the smell increased. When I opened the door, it was awful! I called my neighbor to take James because I knew it was going to take a while to deal with the mess. Jemma had poop from head to toe. I should have taken that picture... it was so incredibly disgusting... it would have been one to show the future boyfriends! She had poop on the stuffed animals, baby doll, sheets and crib. She had even managed to get some on the floor. Thank goodness none was on the wall. And just 3 days ago, I caught her on the toilet with poop on her hands... she had begun "decorating" the toilet. Again, thankfully, I came in before she got any on the wall. We have talked about where poop should go (only down the toilet) and how you shouldn't touch it... I think she understands, but then who knows at this age?!? I am ready for this stage to be over!
Yes, there is a not so glamorous part of mommyhood, but I'll take it anyday! The snuggles, hugs and kisses and smiles make up for the non-glamorous parts...
1 comment:
Jen,
I have to admit while I was smiling through this whole post I was also feeling lots of sympathy for you. I know that your babies are wonderful and I have a lot of trouble imagining the "not so glamourous moments". Hopefully when it is my turn, you will be there on the other end of a blog or the phone to remind me that everyone has these moments.
Love,
Kat
Post a Comment